If your roof hasn’t been professionally inspected in several years, then you don’t need a telltale sign of roofing problems to let you know that a roof inspection is overdue. You may not be aware of other common telltale signs that signal you need to call your roofing contractor.
Florida is well known for its wind-driven storms. That fact probably doesn’t make you feel any less apprehensive for the safety of you, your loved ones and your home. Like any mindful homeowner following a wind-driven storm, you want to inspect your home’s exterior to see if you incurred any damage.
- Shingles: If you have an asphalt shingle roof, check for missing, torn, crooked, curled and up-lifted shingles.
- Tile roof: Tile roofs are well known for their longevity. A regular roof inspection and maintenance is required — especially if you see broken or missing tiles.
- Debris: Felled tree limbs can cause roofing damage even when it’s not visibly apparent.
The most common roofing problem, or effect, is water seeping from one or more penetration points. Look for the following:
- Water spots: Stains on your walls and ceiling can indicate water seepage from your roof.
- Wet insulation: Wet or damp insulation is definitely a sign of a roof leak that needs to be inspected.
- Attic mold: Mold and mildew growth on timber and insulation indicates that too much moisture is present in the attic. This could mean there is a leak or, also common, a lack of ventilation to move moisture.
Your beautiful roof may get all the curb appeal and glory, but your gutters and downspouts are an important component of your roofing system. Your gutters are responsible for conveying water away from your roofing system and away from your home’s foundation. If your gutters are leaking, sagging or clogged up, you could be looking at potential damage to your roof.
A gutter inspection should be included with your roof inspection every year. Make sure leaves and debris are cleared away from your gutters and downspouts at least twice a year.
Remember, don’t venture up onto the roof to inspect it. Always hire a professional. For the best service and accurate roof inspection in the greater Tampa area, contact Imperial Roofing Contractor today. We’re a third-generation company with roots dating back to 1968. We work hard to earn and keep your business!