Taking care of your roof is essential if you want it to last for as long as possible.
Not only should you be scheduling regular roof maintenance throughout the year, you should also do your own inspections on a regular basis (from the ground for safety), especially following a particularly bad storm.
Although your tile roof should withstand harsh weather, it doesn’t mean that it won’t experience damage, especially during hurricane season — and if your roof is damaged, you’ll want to have it repaired right away.
What to look for when inspecting your roof
First of all, never go up on the roof itself. This is very dangerous and can result in physical injury as well as additional damage to your tile roof. Instead, walk around your property and perform a visual inspection. The following are some of the things you should look for following a storm:
- Look for missing tiles – Storms with high powered winds, such as severe hurricanes, can rip the tiles from your roof. You’ll need to have these replaced right away since they will leave your roof vulnerable to water damage and leaks. Not to mention that the surrounding tiles will be more likely to be blown off as a result.
- Look for damaged tiles – While not as serious as missing tiles, you’ll still want to replace or repair any tiles that are cracked or broken. Damaged tiles are more likely to blow off under the stress of high-speed winds and will leave your roof vulnerable to potential leaks.
- Look for debris – Any debris located on your roof needs to be removed right away to avoid putting your roof under more stress. This can be very dangerous. If you see debris on your roof that needs to be removed, contact your roofer.
- Inspect the gutters – Damaged gutters need to be repaired to prevent rainwater from leaking in through your roof or from damaging your foundation. From the ground, you will able to check the downspouts for debris and see if the gutter system is sagging or has pulled away from your roof.
- Look for leaks in the attic – Go up into the attic and look for any water leaks or light leaks. Just because you’re not missing any tiles doesn’t mean that there aren’t any leaks present.
These are a few things that you should look for when inspecting your roof following a storm in the Tampa area. If you notice any issues, schedule a roof inspection right away so that you can have anything properly repaired before they cause other problems. If you need to schedule a roof repair service in Tampa, FL, then be sure to contact us at Imperial Roofing Contractor to request a free estimate today.
There are many advantages to installing a tile roof, especially considering the Tampa-area climate. However, you should still take the time to do yearly maintenance to help extend the lifespan of your tile roof. Just make sure that you don’t attempt to get on the roof yourself. Doing so can be very dangerous and should be left to a trained roofing professional.
Yearly Tile Roof Maintenance Tasks
The following are some of the maintenance tasks that can to be done to help keep your tile roof in good shape.
- Schedule a yearly inspection – During a regular roof inspection, a professional roofer will evaluate the overall condition of your roof by checking to make sure your roof tiles, flashing, gutters and more are in good condition. If they spot any issues with your roof, they will be able to get to the source of the problem and to make repairs so that the problem doesn’t grow.
- Have your gutters cleaned – Because it rains quite often in Tampa, your home depends on your gutters to help keep rainwater from causing serious water damage. You should have your gutters cleaned whenever they appear to be clogged. Doing so will prevent rainwater from building up and potentially leaking in through the roof or damaging the gutters.
- Have your tile roof cleaned – Due to the heat and humidity of our climate, the tiles on your roof may experience some mold or mildew growth if they aren’t regularly cleaned. The last thing you want is for mold or mildew to grow on your tiles since it can affect the underlayment of your roof as well, thereby potentially compromising its structural integrity. During a roof cleaning, debris that could be adding unnecessary stress to the roof will be removed as well.
- Address any leaks – If you spot any leaks or water stains on your ceilings, have your roof inspected for potential leaks. You can also check for leaks in the roof yourself by going up to your attic while it’s raining to look for leaks coming through the roof. If it’s not raining, go up in the middle of the day — if light is shining through, there’s a leak.
Use these maintenance tips to keep your tile roof in good shape throughout the year. To schedule a professional roof inspection, be sure to contact us at Imperial Roofing Contractor to schedule an appointment in Tampa today.