Taking care of your roof is essential if you want it to last for as long as possible.
Not only should you be scheduling regular roof maintenance throughout the year, you should also do your own inspections on a regular basis (from the ground fr safety), especially following a particularly bad storm.
Although your tile roof should withstand harsh weather, it doesn’t mean that it won’t experience damage, especially during hurricane season — and if your roof is damaged, you’ll want to have it repaired right away.
What to look for when inspecting your roof
First of all, never go up on the roof itself. This is very dangerous and can result in physical injury as well as additional damage to your tile roof. Instead, walk around your property and perform a visual inspection. The following are some of the things you should look for following a storm:
- Look for missing tiles – Storms with high powered winds, such as severe hurricanes, can rip the tiles from your roof. You’ll need to have these replaced right away since they will leave your roof vulnerable to water damage and leaks. Not to mention that the surrounding tiles will be more likely to be blown off as a result.
- Look for damaged tiles – While not as serious as missing tiles, you’ll still want to replace or repair any tiles that are cracked or broken. Damaged tiles are more likely to blow off under the stress of high-speed winds and will leave your roof vulnerable to potential leaks.
- Look for debris – Any debris located on your roof needs to be removed right away to avoid putting your roof under more stress. This can be very dangerous. If you see debris on your roof that needs to be removed, contact your roofer.
- Inspect the gutters – Damaged gutters need to be repaired to prevent rainwater from leaking in through your roof or from damaging your foundation. From the ground, you will able to check the downspouts for debris and see if the gutter system is sagging or has pulled away from your roof.
- Look for leaks in the attic – Go up into the attic and look for any water leaks or light leaks. Just because you’re not missing any tiles doesn’t mean that there aren’t any leaks present.
These are a few things that you should look for when inspecting your roof following a storm in the Tampa area. If you notice any issues, schedule a roof inspection right away so that you can have anything properly repaired before they cause other problems. If you need to schedule a roof repair service in Tampa, FL, then be sure to contact us at Imperial Roofing Contractor to request a free estimate today.