For homes that are subject to severe or hurricane-force winds, there are certain steps that should be taken to mitigate the damaging effects of severe weather. Insurance companies and Florida state law alike reward homeowners who have put effort into wind mitigation to protect their assets from undue risk. Here are just a few tips to get you started protecting your home from the effects of this year’s hurricane season.
Roofing Factors to Consider:
There are a number of factors that come into play for wind mitigation and roofing materials. Here are the major components:
- Roof Covering – Some roofing materials are simply more resistant to wind than others.
- The Shape of the Roof – The geometric and architectural style of a roof affects its wind resistance. A hip roof, for example, may receive up to forty percent less wind pressure than a gabled roof.
- The Roof Deck Attachment – A partial failure of the roof deck can lead to major water damage and property loss inside of any building.
- Roof to Wall Connections – This connection is crucial to the performance of the building.
- Secondary Water Barrier – This layer of protection shields your home if the primary roof covering becomes damaged or is blown off.
Steps to Take
Essentially, wind mitigation consists of certain, tangible steps taken by a home or business owner to protect their roof before the storm hits. Practically, this can include measures such as:
Professional Roof Inspections
Local, professional roofing contractors are available to thoroughly inspect your roofing system. All flashing, gutters, and roof accessories will be checked for deterioration and damage.
Promptly repairing your roof when damage is discovered will greatly help to maintain its weatherproof nature. Missing tiles, shingles, and bent metal roofing can all be easily fixed before the next big storm sweeps through.
New Roof Installation Check
When installing a new roof on your home, carefully weigh the investment of more expensive materials, like tile or metal, against their durability and longevity. Installing a wind-resistant roof right away can save thousands of dollars in future repairs.
Consult Local Professional Help
For local solutions to your roofing needs, contact our team at Imperial Roofing. We maintain a highly trained staff and strive to stay up to date on the latest building code requirements and rebates associated with wind mitigation tactics. Our team is ready to help with your roof repair and replacement needs throughout the Land O Lakes region of Florida.