Homeowners in the Clearwater area know two things about Florida’s magnificent skies: they will bring plenty of sunshine, and they will bring plenty of rain. Although your roof may spring a leak from any number of causes, the roof-battering Florida hurricanes are the arch enemy of roofing shingles.
The 4 Foes of Roofs
A hurricane has four major factors that play into roof annihilation:
- Wind-Driven Rain—roofs are designed to protect from vertical precipitation, while hurricanes can drive rain nearly horizontally up under shingle roof sections
- Blunt Impact—hurricanes are capable of picking up and tossing objects as large as boats onto roofs
- Wind Shear—the sudden reversal of wind direction can cause uplift
- Sustained High Winds—most roofs cannot withstand sustained 130 mph winds
Get Ready for the Rain
Preventing a roof leak caused by high winds or heavy rains, and thereby avoiding the need for roof repair, cannot be accomplished overnight. Getting your Clearwater home or business in readiness for hurricane season means not only having the right roofing material above you, but also having your home and surrounding property in good shape. For the average homeowner, this means:
- Removing yard or lawn clutter that can be picked up and tossed by high winds
- Cutting back shrubs and trees that may damage your roof
- Keeping your gutters clear and in good physical shape, so they can channel water away from your roof and foundation
- Getting your roof inspected to prevent small issues from growing into a large roof leak
If your home or business has wind-resistant roofing, you lessen the risk of a roof leak by covering your building with tough protection from wind-driven rain, shingle uplift, impacts, and crosswinds. GAF’s Advanced Protection Shingles, offered and installed by Imperial Roofing, can withstand some of nature’s most punishing forces:
- Class F Test (ASTM D3161)—wind strengths up to 110 mph
- Class H Test (ASTM D7158)—winds up to 150 mph
- Strong Granule Adhesion
- Resistant to Wind Uplift
Over 180 tests were conducted on GAF Advanced Protection Shingles to give you peace of mind in the worst weather. GAF added a new test to this regimen, AC438, to predict long-term performance in three critical areas:
- Long-Term Durability
- Wind-Driven Rain Performance
- Long-Term Extreme Temperature Resistance
GAF’s Advanced Protection Shingles are the first shingles to pass this new, rigorous test. Absolutely do what you can to prevent a roof leak, but consider these industry game-changers expertly installed by Imperial Roofing for lasting protection.
If you are in need of a roof inspection to check for any needed repairs, contact Imperial Roofing Contractor. As GAF Master Elite contractors, we can help you with all of your roofing needs.