Residents of Tampa, FL are no strangers to stormy weather. Even when it’s not hurricane season, it’s not uncommon to experience stormy weather. As such, it’s important to keep your home’s roof in good condition to help reduce the risk of roof damage as much as possible whenever a storm hits.
Common Roof Damage Caused By Storms
The following are a few shingle roof problems you may experience as a result of a storm in Tampa, FL:
- Missing shingles – High powered winds can rip shingles from the roof, leaving the roof vulnerable to water damage and leaks. Missing shingles will also leave the surrounding shingles vulnerable to being blown off as well.
- Damaged shingles – Debris, such as branches, blown through the air by a storm can cause impact damage to your shingles. Hail storms can also cause serious damage, including tears and punctures that will increase the risk of roof leaks.
- Loose or missing flashing – If your flashing is damaged or torn off from its position, it will leave the roof vulnerable to potential leaks. The entire purpose of your flashing, after all, is to prevent leaks.
- Damaged gutters – Your gutter system was designed to collect rainwater that slides down your roof and to disperse it safely away from your home. Damage caused to your gutters, whether it’s holes in the gutters or separation between the gutters and the roof, can increase the risk of rainwater causing damage to your home’s siding as well as increase the risk that rainwater may leak in through your home’s basement or cause damage to its foundation.
Preventing Storm Damage
The last thing you’ll want to do is to deal with any storm damage caused to your shingle roof. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to help prevent potential storm damage, including the following:
- Clear your yard – Prevent debris and other things from being lifted up by high-powered winds and causing damage to your roof by keeping your yard clear.
- Perform roof repairs – Schedule a professional roof inspection to evaluate the condition of your roof and have any vulnerable spots, such as damaged shingles, addressed. Repairing your roof will help make it stronger so that it can withstand potential damage during a storm.
Find out if your roof will be able to withstand damage during a storm in Tampa by contacting us at Imperial Roofing Contractor to schedule a roof inspection today.
One of the challenges of keeping your roof in good shape here in Tampa is the climate of the area. While you should certainly take the necessary steps to protect your roof ahead of stormy weather (especially during hurricane season), the humidity levels in Tampa can certainly have a negative effect on your roof as well.
How a Humid Climate Can Damage Your Roof
A humid climate can cause damage to your roof over time in a number of ways. For example, your roof will be more exposed to moisture as a result of a humid climate, which can cause your shingles to warp and can cause damage to the decking as well. Besides causing water damage as a result of the build-up of moisture, humidity can also cause the growth of mold on the roof. All of these issues leave your roof more vulnerable to more damage as well, especially during stormy weather.
Additionally, the exposure of your shingles to heat can cause your roof decking to expand and your shingles to shrink, which in turn can cause the nails that are holding them in place to pop up. When your shingles become loose like this, they’re more prone to being blown away. Extreme heat can also cause your flashing sealant to stretch and break, leaving your roof more exposed to potential leaks.
Protecting Your Roof in a Humid Climate
First of all, one major roof feature that will prevent moisture from building up is ventilation. A good roofing contractor will be able to evaluate the ventilation of your roof and determine if it’s adequate.
Secondly, it’s important to keep your roof clear of all debris. Debris, such as leaves or branches, will cause moisture to be trapped beneath. This is often what causes the growth of mold on roofs. If debris has started gathering on your roof, have it cleared by a professional. Keep an eye out for any mold growth on the roof as well — it should be visible from the ground.
However, the most effective way to prevent damage caused by humidity is by getting your roof inspected on a regular basis. Getting your roof inspected once a year is a good idea, but don’t hesitate to schedule an inspection the moment you think there’s something wrong as well. To schedule a roof inspection in Tampa, FL, contact us at Imperial Roofing Contractor today.